Issue with Radiant Extensions on Heroku…

Falling

Background

Recently, I’ve decided to work with Ruby a little more and I’ve been trying to wrap my head around a number of new things. I’m working to put together a series of posts that will detail my exploration but I ran into a nasty issue and wanted to get something up to help anyone else who falls into this little pit.

Setup

I have been using Heroku in my explorations and have come to truly dig their service. These guys know what the heck their doing and really make me feel like I do as well. Anyway, since I needed a CMS for the project I was working on, I grabbed Radiant and started playing. It worked quite well out of the box for me and was supported on Heroku (directions here) so I installed several of the extensions that I needed and pushed it up to Heroku.

Uh oh. No worky.

I pulled down the logs from Heroku, I sent emails to everyone I could think of, I Googled, I re-pushed (yes, I know that’s the definition of insanity), I even shook my fist at the bash shell but could not get it to work.

Resolution

Along the way, I came to find a couple of rather important pieces of info. Heroku doesn’t support Git on the server side (like git-wiki). And Git has sub-modules. These two important details, and the fact that I was unaware of the previously, is what lead to me to grab a copy of what was on the production server (the bundle command on Heroku) and dissect it. The extension directories were completely empty. Because of the sub-modules, Git wasn’t pushing them to Heroku and so the extensions weren’t loaded. Removing the sub-modules and then adding the files from the extensions, followed by a re-push and I was back in business.
Hope this help.


David O’Hara is a Principal with Improving Enterprises in Dallas, Texas.

About these ads

3 Responses to Issue with Radiant Extensions on Heroku…

  1. If you ever get interested in having a stage and a production environment on Heroku, this might help.

  2. bob says:

    i have been having the same problem. removed the submodules, then added the files back in the extensions folder, but can’t seem to get them to take on heroku…

  3. bob says:

    found a simple solution to this issue http://docs.heroku.com/constraints#git-submodules

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: